How to Play
It’s easy to get started in the Better Business Challenge.
1) Choose your track and Register
2) Fill out the online Scorecard survey
3) Begin taking action!
You have 12-months to rack up as many points from the Scorecard as possible (Energy Scorecard or Smart Start); attend Lunch n' Learns on trending topics in business sustainability; and in some cases get one-on-one “coaching” to help assess, measure and track your success. Then we roll out the “green” carpet for an Awards Night in 2019 to show off participants’ sustainability chops!
Challenge Champion Track
We recommend this track to maximize your cost savings, leadership, and recognition.
This track allows you to take full advantage of all of the Challenge resources and be in the running to win one of our Challenge awards. Points are awarded based on the Energy Scorecard of 46 action items from no-cost/low-cost actions, like using natural light or adjusting your thermostat, to capital investments, like installing solar panels or energy-efficient equipment. All businesses, schools, nonprofits, and congregations in Charlottesville, Albemarle and surrounding counties are eligible. Registration Fee: $100
Smart Start Track
We recommend this track for small businesses who are just beginning to take a look at their energy and sustainability.
For small businesses just starting out on the sustainability path, the Smart Start Scorecard is a “warm up” track that takes less time and investment. The modified scorecard contains nine low-cost actions. Businesses and nonprofits in Charlottesville, Albemarle and surrounding counties with less than 10 employees are eligible. Registration Fee: $50
For specific questions please email email@example.com or sign up below.
What's New this Year?
The Challenge is back and better than ever! If you were one of our past participants, here's what's new:
- Simplified Scorecard of 46 actions focusing on Energy, Innovation, and Leadership!
- Improved User Experience of online Scorecard survey designed by HackCville.
- Energy Catalyst Toolkit contains detailed everything you need to take actions listed on the Energy Scorecard: how-to guides, ready-to-customize employee surveys and policies, planning/tracking tools, and topic-specific provider lists, among other resources, specifically crafted with the busy business-owner in mind.
- Trained Challenge Coaches will be working with select businesses to analyze energy, calculate potential ROI, and build the business case for taking action.
- A B2B Challenge Online Forum to share obstacles, solutions, and success with other members.
- Text message updates and reminders.
Early Bird Registration: Online registration is April 16, 2018 – May 31, 2018. Registering early will earn your business 10 bonus points!
Official Kickoff: the Greater Virginia Green Business Council is hosting the Charlottesville Climate Collaborative’s Kickoff of the 2018 Better Business Challenge on May 8th 11:30 am - 1 pm at CitySpace.
Registration: We would like to have all players joined and at the “starting line” by August 1st, 2018, but enrollment is open throughout the competition.
Deadline for implementing scorecard actions and submitting final score: May 15, 2019.
Recognition: Throughout and at Awards Night held in June 2019.
Get in the Game!
Local businesses and nonprofits are invited to bring their A game by joining the Challenge.